No matter the type of goose hunter you are; be a veteran or a goose gunner, it doesn’t really matter. What matters is the tips you know in order to avoid frustrations while out in the field. Get hold of the goose and stop them from refusing to respond favorably while out in the field. Here are some of the of the tips which you need to keep at your fingertips while goose hunting in order to get it right:
- If you are not sure of what you are doing, then it is high time you spread your decoy. Spread them apart – like six feet apart. This will produce dramatic results as in most cases, geese land in a crowd of geese and normally there is no space between groups. Place your decoys five steps apart and you will even have better results that will leave you all smiles.
- When goose hunting, it is better to be equipped with various goose calls at hand instead of relying on just one. It is important to choose more than one call style. Get a short reed call which is sharp and loud with a pronounced pitched tone. Get another call which produces a softer tone that is awood short reed, with a more reliable sound. If you have various calls, they will support each other depending on the type of conditions in terms of weather. Something to consider is that, when having a loud call, you have an option of producing both loud and soft call, but when it comes to a short call, you can convert it into a loud call. Use the calls depending on the situation in the field.
- When hunting for geese during windy days, you might be required to make several adjustments. This is because most of them prefer to land out of the wind and on short call.Sort this out by getting yourself set away from the wind while out on the field. You can also use the loud call aggressively. Call less, loud and aggressively and let the volume be high.
- When goose hunting, keep it cool and your head should be down. You shouldn’t move until when the shot is called and this applies to all those who are in your group. It is important to wear a face mask as there is a saying that, if you are in a position to see the goose, it can also see you better. This simple rule will increase your chances of hunting more geese.
- The decoy motion is very important with the smaller number being the best, especially while doing it on the water set or sand bar. The full body should be kept at the minimum and make more use of floaters and this will work well especially when there is current.
You have the tips, you can now get started with the hunting spree and get more geese in your decoy. You can share the information with other goose hunters.